Top Page   Introduction   Guidance   Laws&Treaties   News

Getting Assistance from Japan: Guidance

In this page, we are pleased to provide guidance for sending a MLA request to Japan. Since the process and refusal causes can be differentiated if your country is a MLAT party with Japan, the following guidance explains both “non-Treaty” and “With Treaty” scenarios in a separate manner.


- Guidance for sending a request for mutual legal assistance to Japan


-       Non-Treaty


-       With Treaty


- Checklist for drafting a request   


Contact Us

International Affairs Division,

Criminal Affairs Bureau

Ministry of Justice

TEL: +81-3-3592-7049

FAX: +81-3-3592-7063  


External Links

Japanese Government

-          Ministry of Foreign Affairs

-          National Police Agency

International Bodies

-          UNODC

MLAT Partners

-          US Central Authority

-          Korea Central Authority

-          China Central Authority (Ministry of Justice)

-          China Central Authority (Ministry of Public Security)

-          HK Central Authority

-          Russia Central Authority (Ministry of Justice)

-          Russia Central Authority (General Prosecutor's Office)