Operation of Automated Gates (User’s Guide)
Now open the door to the world
with your hand
When you depart from or arrive at the airport on a business or sightseeing trip, you may have to wait in a long line at the landing or departure examination area crowded with people. In such cases, if you use a special lane for automated gates, you can go through landing and departure examination procedures smoothly.
(This website is a Information Guide for the Automated Gates for foreign nationals entering and departing using re-entry permission, etc. For foreign nationals who use the Automated Gates through Trusted Traveler Program, please visit the Immigration Bureau's special website.)
The automated gate system identifies users by passports and fingerprints and allows them to go through examination procedures automatically. You need only follow the operation instructions on the screen. User registration can be done quickly at the airport on the day of flight.
○Smooth and easy touch controls
You can go through the landing or departure procedures easily by following the instructions on the screen.
Display screens for foreign nationals (for departure)
(excluding some devices in Narita Airport)
○Easy registration on the day of departure with only your passport,re-entry permit and application form [Free of charge]
(User registration counter at Kansai Airport)
You will be asked to provide your fingerprints for registration.
Normally, the registration procedure will be completed within five minutes after application.
There is no charge for user registration and use of the automated gate system.
When registration is completed, you can use the automated gates from that day forward.
The application form is also available from the bottom of this page.
You can also register yourself in advance at the following locations in addition to airports.
※If you are a foreign national, who will be departing from Japan with a re-entry permit, you must come under one of the following requirements:
○In possession of a re-entry permit.
○Eligible for use of the special re-entry permit system.
(Note)In cases of departure from Japan with a special re-entry permit, in addition to a valid passport, mid-to-long-term residents will need to have their residence card and special permanent residents will need to have their special permanent resident certificate.
※Previously registered foreign nationals who intend to depart from Japan with a special re-entry permit have to re-register to ensure compatibility with the special re-entry permit.
※At Narita Airport and Chubu Airport, you can register only on the very day of your departure, because the registration locations are in the departure examination area.
At Kansai Airport, please complete user registration before the Security Check, because the registration counter is outside the departure gate.
At Haneda Airport, you will be able to register at the registration counter which is located outside the departure examination area and departure gate hall.
Official stamps(seals) will not be given on your passport.
If you need an official stamps(seals), please ask the official when you go through the automated gate.
Location of the automated gates
+ Narita Airport: Every landing and departure examination area at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2
+ Haneda Airport:Landing and departure examination area
+ Chubu Airport: Landing and departure examination area
+ Kansai Airport: Every landing and departure examination area in North and South Wing
Locations and Hours of User Registration for Automated Gates
- Next to the Information Center in the the Central Building of Terminal 1 8:00 -16:00
- Departure examination area of Terminal 1 8:00 - 21:00
- Landing examination area of Terminal 1 8:00 - 17:00
- Group Counter 33 of the north wing departure lobby for international flights on the 3rd floor of Terminal 2 8:00 -16:00
- Departure examination area of Terminal 2 (See note 1) 8:00 - 21:00
- Landing examination area of Terminal 2 8:00 - 17:00
- Next to Check-in Counter A in the Departure Lobby on the 3rd floor of the International Flights Terminal 8:00 - 21:00
- Each departure examination area (see note 1) 8:00 - 21:00
- Immigration Bureau administration office in the landing examination area 8:00 -16:00
- In the vicinity of Check-in Counter A on the 3rd floor (see note 2) 9:00 -16:00
- Departure examination area (see note 1) 8:00 - 21:00
- Inside the CIQ PR room of the departure lobby for international flights on the 4th floor of Terminal 1 8:00 - 21:00
- North and south departure examination areas on the 3rd floor of Terminal 1 (see note 1) 8:00 - 21:00
- North and south landing examination areas on the 2nd floor of Terminal 1 8:00 -16:00
- Departure examination area of Terminal 2 (see note 1) 8:00 -16:00
- Landing examination area of Terminal 2 8:00 -16:00
Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau
- Re-entry application counter on the 2nd floor (see note 2) 9:00 to 16:00
Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau
- Automated Gates User Registration counter on the 2nd floor (see note 2) 9:00 to 16:00
Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau
- Entry and Departure Inspection counter on the 3rd floor (see note 2) 9:00 to 16:00
(Note1) You will only be able to go to the departure examination area after you have completed the boarding procedures for the airline you are using, and after you have passed the security measures. (You will not be able to go back out to the ordinary areas after you have passed through to the departure examination area.)
(Note2) Closed on Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, and December 29 through to January 3.
(User registration counter at Haneda Airport)
User’s guide to the automated gates, application form, and application form to delete registration
For user’s guide to the automated gates, click here.[PDF]
※The items show how to use the automated gates, how to register as a user, and points to be considered
For the application form for user registration at the automated gates,click here.[PDF]
For the application form to delete user registration at the automated gates, click here.[PDF]
For corporations/groups Information about on-site user registration at the automated gates
For corporations/groups that would like to register themselves as users of the automated gates, the official of the immigration bureau will visit them to provide an on-site registration service. For the general outline, click here.[PDF]
[Contact telephone numbers for the automated gates]
+ Narita Airport District Immigration Office:
General Affairs Department, 0476-34-2222 (general switchboard)
Inspection Coordination Department, 0476-34-2211
+ Haneda Airport District Immigration Office: Inspection Coordination Department, 03-5708-3211
+ Chubu Airport District Immigration Office: Inspection Coordination Department, 0569-38-7413
+ Kansai Airport District Immigration Office: Inspection Coordination Department, 072-455-1457
+ Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau: Inspection Coordination Department, 03-5796-7251
+ Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau: Employment Inspection Department, Inspection Coordination Team, 052-559-2112
+ Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau: Inspection Coordination Department, 06-4703-2100 (general switchboard)