1. Tokyo Subway Sarin Gas Attacks
On March 20, 1995, the poisonous chemical weapon sarin was dispersed in five train cars on three subway lines that pass through Kasumigaseki Station in Tokyo during the morning rush hour. As a result, the attack caused mass casualties, killing 13 people and injuring more than 5,800 (*).
* The number of victims who received benefit payments based on the Act Relating to the Payment of Benefits for the Relief of Aum Shinrikyo Crime Victims
2. Matsumoto Sarin Gas Attack
Sarin was dispersed in a residential area of Matsumoto City, Nagano Prefecture on June 27, 1994, killing 8 people and injuring 140 (*).
* The number of victims is based on criminal trial records
3.Other Violent Incidents
In addition to the above, the cult committed a number of other violent incidents using the chemical weapon VX (a deadly nerve agent).
4. Current Status of Aum Shinrikyo
The cult that caused the previous incidents changed its name and is still active. Among them, more than 100 new members a year are added to the group using the name "Aleph", especially among younger generations.
An altar that was found during the on-site inspection at Sapporo facility (Hokkaido, May 2019)
5. Continued Suffering of Victims, Their Families and the Bereaved
Ms. TAKAHASHI Shizue
On the other hand, there are bereaved families who are still suffering every day, there are the families that continue their long-term support of victims who suffered serious aftereffects even 25 years after the subway sarin gas attacks, and there are victims who have still been suffering from aftereffects of the attacks.